Monday, March 30, 2015

Inspired by Spring

I have been seeing Spring updates everywhere this month! I absolutely love spring. It's my favorite time of the year. Although I haven't made any major spring updates this month, I wanted to share a small part of my home today.

My husband and I bought our first home in February 2014. A little over a year now and the one thing I was really excited and nervous about was decorating the space! I was excited for the obvious reasons... buying new furniture, painting, etc. But I was also nervous for those exact same reasons! I am envious of people who are so good at making a space look so well put together and feel like a million bucks! And bonus points for those who do so on a budget! Someday... I hope I can get to their level, but for now I'd like to share my little attempts at trying to make my home feel a little more inviting and reflection of me and my husband.

Those who know me best know that I can be the most indecisive person in the world! I would like to blame it on the fact that I am a Pisces, but I'm sure that's not the only reason.  When we lived in our little apartment, I was constantly changes things around. And when I thought I was finally 90% happy with exactly how it was... we moved! That's life I guess.

One of the easiest spaces for me to start with was our master bedroom. We had bought new bedroom furniture the year before moving, so the only thing I had to do was buy some new bedding. We had an accent wall in our apartment and I absolutely loved it, but my husband wasn't so keen on doing it again. The accent wall was inspired by the same teal pillow you see below, but for the entire year I was so indecisive that I never found the perfect bedding to do with the decor. So although we had everything else set in the room there was a not so attractive yellow bedding that never made the space feel complete.

After just a month after moving into our new space, I came across a really beautiful printed bedding set. It had accents of the teal that matched perfectly with the pillows and a light green that would compliment our master bathroom decor. The print seemed too busy when I covered the entire bed with it, so I learned this little tip from my friend, V. I folded the comforter in thirds and put it at the edge of the bed. I love how it looks now. So, I have decided to leave the wall alone for now and just added pops of color with the windows and pillows. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the curtains, but basically my sister in law gave me some sheer teal curtains from ikea that she had bought a while back and never ended up using. I added another layer of neutral curtains on either side of the teal. I'm pretty happy with how clean and simple the turned out.


I think my husband would like to add a few masculine touches, so I do plan on changes things up a bit in the future. For now we both enjoy how relaxed this room makes us feel.

Has Spring inspired you to make any home updates this month? I'd love to know!



2 comments: