Saturday, August 22, 2015

Cheers to 30 Years

I'm a huge fan of theme parties. Being a bit creatively challenged, having a theme helps me stick to some basic guidelines and ensure that from the decorations to the food... that everything goes together nicely.

So for Chirag's 30th birthday this year, I decided on a Scotch and Chocolates themed party. Lately, he has really been into trying different types of Scotches and Whiskeys, plus like me, he has a pretty big sweet tooth. Overall, I wanted the party to have a bit of a sophisticated vibe. We were celebrating three whole decades after all. Once I had an overall theme in my mind, I went straight to pinterest to look for some ideas and inspiration. This post and this post were probably the most inspiring of them all. I also came across The Little Big Company's blog and pinterest board and if you love to throw themed parties, I highly recommend that you bookmark this because they have a zillion cute ideas for all kinds of parties.


The next thing to decide upon were the colors. I naturally gravitated towards gold, black, and white, but we had hosted a NYE party last year with the same exact colors. I played with the idea of adding pops of orange because Chirag is a huge Tennesse Volunteer fan, but it started to look as if I was planning a Halloween Party instead. Since Chirag typically likes a very clean, minimalistic look I decided to stick with a simple design with just stick with black and gold.

my vision... pardon my drawing skills

I am a very visual person so I quickly drafted out my vision for the party. I knew I wanted to get the big 3-0 balloons from Party City so I started from there. They have a convenient option to order ahead of time so that you can be sure the balloons will be available and ready for pick up. I ordered mine a week in advance. I got the idea of "Cheers to 30 Years" from pinterest boards. And I knew I wanted to make a smaller banner as the cake topper, inspired by this one from Sara. I also love this idea from Amy. I then contacted my mother-in-law to get baby pictures of Chirag to create a big 3-0 collage of pictures on the wall. Everyone, including Chirag, really enjoyed seeing his baby pictures and his 90's fashion sense.

Made with black card stock paper & Gold Alphabet Stickers from Michaels



The rest of the decor was pretty simple and classy.  The menu consisted of tea sandwiches catered from Central Market, which were super affordable and stuffed buffalo chicken and blue cheese bites from Sam's Club which were quick and easy to open in the oven. My sister-in-law also picked up these Thai Lime & Chili Almonds to go with the drinks which the guys really enjoyed. The deserts table included an assorted varieties of macaroons, home-made chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate covered pretzels. As for the birthday cake, I ordered a whole Whiskey cake from Whiskey Cake Kitchen & Bar to stick close to the theme.  It was huge hit with all the guests. I highly recommend it!

The desert table

Wishkey Cake

The big show stoppers would be three main scotches. I turned to my brother-in-law Hash and our dear friend Jay, who is an expert in this area. Per their advice I went with the Macallan 12, the Dalwhinnie 15, and the Balvenie Doublewood 12. Although most of the ladies at the party preferred to stick to the wines, the guys were very pleased with the scotch selection. Although the Dalwhinnie 15 was suppose to be the best, most of the guys preferred the Balveine 12. 


I didn't realize it until the last minute that the Wishkey cake was a sheet cake. I had gone to Home Goods earlier that day because I knew our table needed some kind of height and found these cute black and white suit cases. My good friend Vivek, came up with this great idea to use the suit cases as a cake stand. 

I was really happy with how the whole party turned out. Everyone had a fabulous time, plus Chirag was truly surprised and loved the theme!


Are you a fan of theme parties?



14 comments:

  1. So glad everyone had a wonderful time and happy birthday to your hubby! The theme party looks so great! I've never thrown a theme party before but I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Salma! You should try it.. it's so much fun! :)

      Delete
  2. this is pretty darn cool. i love parties in general, if its theme parties even better. happy belated to chirag :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixya! I agree... I'm pretty much up for any party... theme or no theme.

      Delete
  3. Looks like such a fun party! You did an amazing job with the food, drinks, and decor. happy belated birthday to chirag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also LOVE theme parties, and you are so good at throwing them! This looks like an incredibly classy way to celebrate a 30th. Love the balloon and picture display too! I'll definitely be checking out that blog, my next theme party is a nautical bachelorette, this weekend! Thanks for sharing, and happy belated to Chirag!

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Priya! A nautical bachelorette sounds like such a cute theme. Can't wait to read about it on your blog. I'm sure it'll be fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Love all these fun themes, and I especially love those gold balloons! I'll be turning 3-2 this year so maybe I'll treat myself to some! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should!hope you have a fabulous bday! :)

      Delete
  6. Dear Reshma,

    Congratulations on throwing such a unique birthday party for Chirag. I love theme parties and love all the details you included. That cake looks spectacular and love the balloons.

    I am so inspired!

    Best,
    Kamana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love themed parties! I definitely don't have enough of them! This party looks great and Happy 30th to Chirag, I hope he had a great birthday. I'm surprised you describe yourself as creatively challenged because the decor and presentaiton in these pictures looks great and there was clearly a lot of thought behind it - I don't think I've ever pulled off a really well presented themed party, it normally ends somewhere around the costumes...! x

    ReplyDelete