Thursday, June 25, 2015

Three Things Thursday: Foodie Edition

This week we have been stuffing our faces with delicious home-made food since Chirag's mom was in town. It was mainly all Indian food because that's her speciality. However, we did go out a couple of times to some pretty cool places around the Dallas area that I thought it'd share with you today.


One: Old Time Creamery

My MIL is a huge fan of kulfi - a type of Indian ice cream. So when we discovered Old Time Creamery, we just knew we had to take her there.
They have tons of Indian flavors... a few that I can recall are: paan (bettle leaf), chikoo (sapodilla), sitafal (custard apple), and of course mango. They also have your American flavors like: red velvet, birthday cake, and amaretto... so it's really great for the whole family. What I liked most about this ice-cream shop was that even though they had these exotic flavors, none of them really tasted "artificial". Now, I'm not saying they are all natural... I'm not sure about that, but they sure did taste good!
In addition to the yummy ice-cream, they also have a super friendly staff that will let you try all the flavors and give you some great suggestions. They just seemed happy.... which is always a big plus in my book!
My in-laws loved this place! It took them back to their childhood in India. Our favorite flavors were kulfi (of course) and falooda. If you are ever in the area, I would highly recommend it.
Currently, there is only one location in Plano, TX. If you or someone you know is a lover of Indian ice-creams then this place is a must!


Two: Pizza Hut's Sweet Sriracha Dyamite

You may not have Old Time Creamery near you... but I'm sure there is a Pizza Hut right around the corner.
For a long time, I had given up on Pizza Hut.... I think I just got bored with it and just started to prefer other speciality pizza shops or even Papa John's over Pizza Hut. That was until I tired one of their new speciality pizza - the Sweet Siracaha Dynamite.
Now, if you don't like spicy, then this pizza is not for you. My in-laws couldn't handle the heat... but my mask (aunt) kept going back for more even though her mouth was a bit on fire!
The pizza comes with their honey Sriracha sauce, jalapeƱo peppers, Peruvian cherry peppers, pineapple and grilled chicken. I'm a veggie... so I get mine without the chicken. The combination of flavors truly is dyamite! ;)


Three: Bahama Bucks

I grew up in India until I was about 10 years old. Even though sometimes I complain that Dallas heat is worse... summers in India are really something else. It's almost unbearable! One thing I remember during those days is my grandparents taking me snow-cone street vendor (barf-no-gollo) to cool us off a bit on those days that we just couldn't take it anymore.
Nothing too fancy... the street vendor would shave up some ice and load it up with some sort of flavored syrup. I'm not sure which one was my favorite... I just remember it being red.
Well, this past weekend we stopped by a Bahama Bucks location that just opened up next to my SIL's house. I was immediately taken by to those hot summer days. I have to admit, I did start missing my grandparents a bit.


They have so many flavors it's really hard to decide... plus they save their ice super thin which makes it just melt in your mouth. We all tried a different flavor and let me tell you... they were all amazing! I tried the Tiger's Blood and Passion Fruit flavors together (both were red... go figure!) and they put a little bit of cream on top. O-M-G!!
There are a ton of locations around Texas, but they are also expanding several locations across the states. If there is one near you... I would highly recommend it!


It's always fun to share new types of food and places to eat whenever our parents are in town. They don't tend to venture out too much on their own and it makes us so happy when we find something they really enjoy.


Are you interested joining #3TT? Please visit the hosts: SalmaRaj, or Nisha's blog, for all the details on how to join the linkup. It's a great way to meet some incredible bloggers and share any three things you'd like... the rules are super simple, so be sure to join in!


I'd love to know... Do you have some new food/restaurant recommendations?







12 comments:

  1. http://kwalityfoods.com/ is a similar place in Irving; they did have interesting Indian flavored ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this foodie 3 things Thursday. Flavored ice is my favorite summer treat. Hope Bahama Bucks opens in DC!

    Xoxo,
    Kamana

    www.socialandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not... you can always come to Texas for some bucks! ;)

      Delete
  3. I had no clue Pizza Hut expanded their offerings! Now you have me curious. That pizza sounds like something Vishnu would LOVE - he is all about the spicy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely give it try if Vishnu loves spicy. Chirag can't handle it... he usually like the Pretzel Piggy (another new pizza hut creation).

      Delete
  4. Wow, I wish Pizza Hut in the UK was this good! Ialso really want a kulfi after reading this post... it sounds like you have a load of great food places near you! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry Laila... I thought pizza hut had taken over the world already! Well, if not pizza... hopefully there is an ice-shop near by! :)

      Delete
  5. Okay, your post is totally making me hungry! lol. I love kulfi and we have a pizza hut close to us so I will definitely have to check out the sriracha pizza, that sounds really good! Happy to have you linking up to #3thingsthursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... food is always on my mind. I always enjoy linking up... thanks! :)

      Delete
  6. not a fan of pizza hut since we ate there so often when i moved here, but that siracha pizza looks good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean... I hadn't eaten there is so long since we use to have it a lot when I was younger. Give it a try, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

      Delete