Friday, September 25, 2015

A Veggie Inspired Baked Goodness

Ever since I read this post on Parita's blog at the beginning of this month, I have been telling myself that I need to make this!

So, after writing the Confessions to Self post, I decided to follow through on my intentions.  I craved out some time for myself Monday evening to relax and make Parita's Famous Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread

When I started to gather all the ingredients for the recipe, I realized I had a slight problem. You see, the only thing I had picked up from the grocery store was merely one zucchini. I figured we always have bananas on hand and I pretty much forgot to read the recipe for rest of the ingredients. 

I was determined not to let this stop me from following through. I started going down the list of healthy ingredients and ended up having to make several swaps. For example,

-all purpose flour instead of white whole wheat flour
-regular sugar instead of raw cane sugar
-olive oil instead of coconut oil
-pistachios instead of walnuts

**Sorry, this photo does not do this bread justice**

Almonds would have been my first choice to substitute for the walnuts, but this time my reasoning was quiet simple... zucchini is green and pistachios are kinda green. I told myself, I think that'll work! I tend to over think a little too much and worry about every little detail. I tired to remind myself to keep it simple and easy, and just enjoy the process of doing something I loved to do. It was actually quiet therapeutic. 

Since I still wanted a bit of that woodsiness from walnuts in my bread, I decided to use a trick I learned from my sister-in-law. She always adds a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg when making bread, pancakes or waffles, so I decided to do just that. I have never incorporated any veggies into baked goods before, but let me tell you... After trying this bread I am a changed woman! 

This bread was so soft and moist. It wasn't overly sweet like some banana breads I've made previously, but still enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. You can barely taste the zucchini in the bread, but when I really savored the bite, it's actually quiet refreshing to realize what's in it. 

This bread has inspired me to try more recipes incorporating veggies to make healthier versions of my favorite baked goods. For example, my husband is a huge fan of red velvet cake and I've read about using beets to make a healthier version. I was too skeptical to try it before, but not anymore!

This is what I love about the blogosphere! Connecting with amazing people, like Parita, and being inspired to try something new. Although my version is probably not quiet as healthy as Parita's, I'm still so happy that I followed through on my intentions and have been introduced to this new world of baking. Her blog is full of many more delicious and healthy recipes like this one, plus great tips and ideas about personal growth. Be sure to check out her blog, My Inner Shakti and give this bread a try... I promise, you won't be disappointed!



Have you tried a veggie inspired baked goodness?

4 comments:

  1. So glad you liked the recipe enough to try it and make it your own!! Your version sounds delicious. I'm def going to add a dash of cinnamon to my next loaf!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting the recipe and inspiring me to try something new! Love your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. I saw the recipe on Parita's site and it looked really great! Your version sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so yummy and I'm planning on buying the ingredients to make Parita's healthier version too!

      Delete