Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tofu-rific!

I'm pretty obsessed with Tofu! So it's only appropriate that my first food-related post be on none other than tofu.

I have been a fairly strict vegetarian my whole life and even though my mom tired to get me to eggs when I was younger, I didn't really start eating them until after I started dating my husband. I mainly started as a way to increase my protein in-take, but I'm still pretty picky about my eggs overall.

But I love tofu! I know some people are totally turned off by it, but I promise you, that when marinated and cooked properly it's actually really delicious. And it's an excellent alternative to meat in many dishes. Plus, these days you can use tofu in so many different ways... sandwiches, tacos, and curry or noodle dishes just to name a few! I always have tofu on hand and pretty much make it 2 to 3 times a week. I typically get the firm or extra firm kind. I'm not a fan of the silken tofu, but I know several people who use it in their smoothies and love it too.


In case you haven't tried it yet, then the Loaded Crispy Tofu Tacos by The Woks of Life would definitely be one of my top 5 recommendations! It's super flavorful, plus and all the fresh ingredients really make these tacos refreshing and healthy to eat... so you can feel good about having 1, 2, or maybe even 3?! It's Tofu-rific!! I tend to change up the recipe a little depending on the ingredients I have on hand, but I would definitely say cornmeal is a must. I have tried it with bread crumbs before and it was good, but I think it's more crispier and better with cornmeal. My photography skills don't do these tacos justice... so make sure you check out The Woks of Life.

Are you a tofu fan or have a favorite tofu recipe?





6 comments:

  1. Just pinned the recipe! Sounds delicious. We eat tofu at least once a week. Over the last few years, I've even managed to get Vishnu on board (to the point where he requests tofu instead of chicken!). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! My husband loves this recipe too... I hope you & Vishnu enjoy it as much we do! :)

      Delete
  2. That's the thing- I really need to learn how to prepare it correctly! I've had tofu dishes that I've actually liked, but only when the texture is right. These tacos look awesome!!

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it can be tricky. I think the extra firm works best for someone just starting to try it and it's best to press all the water out and marinate it as long as you can. Another great way to try it is in Thai curries!

      Delete
  3. I have been a strict vegetarian for 15 years and I love tofu! Those tacos look amazing! yum!!

    ReplyDelete